As part of our proactive planning approach here at Keystone Financial Services, we want to assist our clients in quickly and effectively addressing any suspected financial exploitation of seniors and/or other vulnerable adults We believe all investors can benefit from adding a “Trusted Contact” to their accounts, especially those over 62 years of age. Having one or more Trusted Contacts provides another level of security for your accounts and puts Keystone in a better position to help maintain your accounts’ safety.
Typically, this person is a Trusted family member or friend that you feel comfortable including in your financial affairs. The idea behind adding a Trusted Contact to your household is that it gives our firm someone to contact about your accounts if problems arise or if something is out of the ordinary. For example, if Keystone is having a problem getting in touch with you, or if we have a concern about potential fraud related to your accounts, you have a Trusted Contact that will know where you are and how to get in touch with you. Knowing who you trust is an important factor in keeping your accounts safe.
We are sure this sparks questions about what a Trusted Contact can and cannot do.
A Trusted Contact CAN:
- Address possible financial exploitation or fraud on your accounts.
- Confirm your current contact information if we cannot reach you.
- Confirm your current health status if we suspect you are sick or suffering from diminished capacity
- Confirm the identity of any legal guardian, executor, trustee, or holder of a Power of Attorney on your accounts.
A Trusted Contact CANNOT:
- Place trades in your accounts.
- Make decisions about your accounts
- Obtain account balances or security information.
- Become a Power of Attorney, legal guardian, trustee, or executor by virtue in being identified as a Trusted Contact.
In today’s world, seniors are more and more at risk of becoming victims of financial abuse and fraud. Keystone will be reaching out directly to our clients older than 62 years of age to discuss the options of adding Trusted Contact(s) to your household accounts. If you are under the age of 62, we welcome you to reach out to us if you would like to add a Trusted Contact to your accounts as well. Keeping you, your information, and your portfolio safe is Keystone Financial Services’ top priority.